Working in Nova Scotia
Before working in Nova Scotia in any of the skilled trades, you need to know the apprenticeship and trade certification requirements in this province.
- Several trades are compulsory certified Compulsory Certified
To work in a compulsory certified trade, a license, certificate or apprentice/trainee status required. under our legislation (the Apprenticeship and Trades Qualifications Act) and are identified on the list of trades by a yellow dot. This means there is a legal requirement to:
- Hold a Certificate of Qualification issued in Nova Scotia; OR
- Hold a recognized Certificate of Qualification issued by another province/territory in Canada (you may be required to obtain an equivalency card); OR
- Register as an apprentice.
- Some trades are compulsory certified under another regulatory authority and are identified on the list of trades by a green dot. Their licensing or certification requirements must be complied with.
- Most trades are NOT compulsory certified.